As a grandparent, you want to make sure your grandkids have the best of everything. And if you have a particularly tech-savvy grandkid, buying them an RC car is the perfect gift! Not only will they have lots of fun driving it around, but they’ll also learn some important lessons about physics and engineering in the process.
But with all the different types and brands of RC vehicles on the market, how can you be sure which one is right for your grandchild? Well, don’t worry—we’re here to help!
In this RC car buying guide, we will outline everything you need to know to find the best RC cars for kids. So if you want to give your grandkid the gift of speed and excitement, read on—your little one will thank you for it!
RC CARS FOR KIDS—A GUIDE FOR GRANDPARENTS
Whether it’s their birthday, Christmas, or just because, giving your grandchild an RC vehicle is a great way to put a huge smile on their face. Follow these five steps to help narrow down your search results at RC Superstore and find the perfect match for your lucky grandchild.
1. How much experience do they have with RC vehicles?
The first step is to decide which skill level of RC vehicle is best suited for your grandchild.
- Is this their first RC vehicle? If so, we recommend starting them off with one of these slot car racing sets. A slot car racing set includes all the cars, tracks, and parts your little one needs to start racing and having fun.
- Have they operated an RC car before? Then one of these RC cars for kids is a great place to start. They come fully assembled and painted, so all you need to do is plug the battery pack into the wall charger (both included) and they're ready to rip!
- Do they like to tinker? If your grandchild is a future engineer in the making, then we recommend purchasing an RC model kit. They'll feel great knowing they're racing a piece of gear they put together all by themselves!
- Are they ready to bring their A-game to the track? If your grandchild is a bit older and ready to gravitate toward the higher end of the spectrum, then you should take a look at these professional RC racing cars. Just know that if your loved one is a professional in the RC world, you need to find out if they are sponsored or not, as some drivers won’t be able to use products from other manufacturers.
2. What Type of Vehicles do They Like?
The next step is to decide which type of vehicle your grandchild would like most. Remote control cars aren’t the only type of RC vehicle, so you'll want to figure out what kind(s) of vehicles they’re into.
- Do they like to go fast? Then one of these speedy RC racecars may be the way to go. Just be warned—they range in top speed from 60–100 mph!
- Do they like to get dirty? Then one of these off-road RC trucks is your best bet. Just make sure they change out of their Sunday best before heading out.
- Do they like to fly high? Then one of these RC planes and jets will make the perfect gift. Think of these as the modern-day kite—only with far more excitement!
- Do they like to make a splash? Then one of these RC boats should do the trick. Just know that, depending on where they live, your grandkid may need to wait a few months for the ice to melt before they can take it out for a spin.
Want to shop our entire selection of RC cars, trucks, boats, and airplanes? We've made it super simple for you to find exactly what you're looking for—just click on the type of vehicle you want at the top of the page!